Wichita police identify 2 who died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

Wichita police have identified two people who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a home on the city's south side.

Police say 44-year-old Richard Reese and 41-year-old Dionne Jackson were pronounced dead after emergency crews responded to a welfare check near Pawnee and Broadway on Thursday.

Officer Charley Davidson said the two were using a generator because they had no electricity. A woman who found the the victims was a friend of Reese, and he was visiting Jackson, who lived in the home.


Previous story:

Authorities are investigating the deaths of two people from possible carbon monoxide poisoning in south Wichita.

Emergency crews responded at around 7:30 a.m. Thursday to a check welfare call at a home in the 300 block of East Kinkaid, which is north of Pawnee and Broadway. A dispatch supervisor said a woman called 911 screaming. 

Sgt. Scott Moon said officers arrived and found the two people in the home. They were pronounced dead at the scene. 

A neighbor, Gilbert Gomez, said he smelled what he thought was a strong gas odor in the home, adding that the victims were a male and a female.

"The police, they said, I think, that it was a generator that went out," he said.

Officer Charley Davidson said they were using a generator because they had no electricity. 

Police believe the two deaths were carbon monoxide related. Officer Davidson said the woman who found the couple was a friend of the man, and he was visiting the woman who lived in the home.

Additional information was not released. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE

<'>