Tuesday, November 27, 2012
A man and woman were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning they suffered while renovating a southeast Wichita duplex late Tuesday afternoon.
Wichita Fire and Hazmat crews responded to the 2500 block of South Holyoke Court at around 5:30 p.m.
The two had a gas-powered generator and took it inside the duplex, said Wichita Fire Captain Chuck Peaster. The carbon monoxide overtook them.
Both were taken to the hospital, one in critical condition, the other in serious condition.
Hazmat set up fans to clear out the gas.
Peaster said the effects of carbon monoxide can strike quickly. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include flu-like symptoms, headache and a “cherry-red face.”
“Any time you’re running a gas-powered appliance, you need to keep it outside,” Peaster said.