Friday, September 9, 2011
Public health officials are reporting that a south-central Kansas resident has died from a probable case of a rare infection by a brain-eating water amoeba.
State and local officials said Friday it would be the first case documented in Kansas. Single deaths also have been reported this summer in Florida, Louisiana and Virginia.
The officials said the Kansas victim was from Sedgwick County and apparently went swimming in a city lake in Winfield, south of Wichita. The person died on August 24 at an area hospital.
Officials did not release more information to protect the victim's privacy.
The amoeba is Naegleria fowleri, and it gets up the nose, burrows up into the skull and destroys brain tissue. It's found in warm lake and rivers during the summer.