WICHITA, Kan. -- Several people were evacuated from a northeast Wichita apartment complex before dawn Friday, from what appeared at first to be a fire but what may be something else.
A fire department captain says an "electrical malfunction" developed around 5:10 a.m. at the Tall Oaks Apartments, in the 2300 block of North Oliver. One building was evacuated for a time.
The trouble was placed to a small furnace heater in one unit, which produced the smell of burning plastic. But a maintenance worker at the complex told KAKE News he found nothing unusual with that furnace.