Wednesday, June 27, 2012
A camping trip to a Kansas lake nearly turned disastrous for a local family after their young son was bitten by a snake.
The family was on their first outing with a new camper at Fall River in southeast Kansas when their 4-year-old boy had an encounter with a Copperhead snake.
The Myers family was told by the Fall River Ranger that this was the first snakebite he knows there in 10 years. The family knows there will be a lot of folks the upcoming Independence Day holiday and want them to watch out for those sneaky snakes.
4-year-old Trevin Myers is a poisonous snakebite survivor. He showed off his right foot, which endured the bite while camping at the Fall River Lake.
His dad, Kyle, and mom, Jesca, say it was a frightening experience. Trevin was running to a camp playground. What he thought was a stick on the ground turned out to be a juvenile Copperhead. His family heard him screaming in agony from the bite.
His father says, “We knew something was wrong, and he told us a snake bit him - lifted up his left foot and had the blood on his foot. Right away, we started looking around and saw it out of the corner of our eye.”
The first stop was the Fredonia hospital, where the 4-year-old was given one vial of anti-venom.
His mother says, “I didn’t know if the venom was going everywhere in his body or what it was targeting.”
Trevin was transferred to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita over the weekend until Monday afternoon. He received three more anti-venom vials.
Sedgwick County Zoo’s senior keeper of amphibians, reptiles, and fish, John Rold, says a Copperhead bite is more dangerous to a child.
Copperheads themselves, as far as native snakes go, are probably not life threatening to an adult. For a small child, definitely. But no matter who you are, if you get bit by a venomous snake in our country, seek medical attention,” says Rold.
The Myers family says doctors were concerned they might have to do surgery but were then amazed at Trevin’s quick turnaround.
There are 6 species of venomous snakes found in Kansas: the Osage Copperhead, the Western Cottonmouth, the Timber Rattlesnake, the Prairie Rattlesnake, the Western Diamondback, and the Western Massasauga.
First aid for snakebite victims, while waiting for emergency workers, is to have the person lie down with the wound below the heart; keep them still to prevent the venom from spreading; and cover the bite with a loose, sterile bandage.