Wichita Joins Suit

By: KAKE News
By: KAKE News

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

The city is joining the fight against Gov. Graves over last month's massive budget cuts.

Earlier this month Gov. Graves announced he would slash $48 million from the state budget while that money was suppose to go to 105 counties and more than 300 cities.

Many think money is the reason for the lawsuit, but it's about principle more than anything else.

Each year cities and counties send millions of dollars in sales tax revenue to the Kansas Treasury Department, and each year the department sends part of money back. It's a 20-year process that Gov. Graves cut, but was it legal.

Wichita's Government Relations Specialist Mike Taylor says the city is joining the suit because the city will lose $3.1 million with the cut. But Wichita officials say they have enough money in cash reserve to cover the cut.

However Senator Jean Schodorf, who is a legislative member, says the governor was within his right, and the cut had to be made.

Schodorf says that instead of brainstorming about how the state would solve it's $740 million budget problem, it's turned into a power struggle.

A final decision on if the lawsuit will be filed will be announced Thursday. If it is filed it will go before the Kansas Supreme Court.

Butler County, Dodge City, and Colby officials have all said they would join in the lawsuit as well. But Sedgwick County officials have chosen not to be part of the lawsuit.


KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 156696 - kake.com/a?a=156696