Sunday was a day Wichita fire crews would like to forget.
Wichita crews were called to fight eight fires in eight hours. At least three of the fires were weather-related and could have been avoided.
The most damaging was a fire in the 13600 block of Highland Springs Court in northwest Wichita. Investigators said a heat lamp inside a dog house caught fire, spreading to the home's back porch, and ultimately causing $250,000 in damage. The family's dog died in the fire.
Another fire is blamed on a faulty chimney and a third blamed on a wood burning stove left unattended.
Firefighters typically see a spike in fires during the first cold snap of the season.