KAKE - Find It - Friday Headlines

More Mold Found In Area Homes

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Friday, January 23, 2009

Some homeowners are wondering if they are living in a moldy home.

Several homeowners say that a plastic vapor barrier that many builders use with insulation is trapping moisture and causing mold to grow.

After our story ran yesterday, Justin Munoz called to show us his home. The house is just three years old, but Munoz found moisture trapped behind the plastic barrier and behind that, mold.

"This is supposed to be our dream home and we invested all our money and it's taken away from us," said Munoz.

The mold is so bad he was forced to move out because the house is now a health hazard. But there's no recourse for him. The vapor barrier is required by code.

Wichita area builder Craig Sharp said he hasn't used that type of barrier for 20 years. He uses a more breathable barrier.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 38245314 - kake.com/a?a=38245314