Monday, May 18, 2009
United Way of the Plains announced today that laid-off workers can begin making appointments tomorrow May 19, at 8 a.m., for the Laid-Off Workers Center.
To set up an appointment, individuals must call United Way’s information number by dialing 2-1-1 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. The deadline to call for an appointment for the June session is Friday, May 22. The center will be open on a monthly basis as needed beyond June.
“Included in the many services at the center will be limited emergency financial assistance,” said Patrick J. Hanrahan, president of United Way of the Plains. “We can’t replace paychecks, but we can help with basic needs such as food, utilities, and shelter after laid-off workers have exhausted other financial assistance. The center also matches individuals to many other needed services”
To qualify for help through the Laid-Off Workers Center, laid-off workers must:
- Pre-register by calling United Way’s information line by dialing 2-1-1,
- Have been laid off due to lack of work and approved for unemployment compensation sometime since October 1, 2008 (not fired, quit, or on medical leave),
- Show that they have emergency financial needs and have insufficient personal resources to adequately provide food, clothing and/or shelter; and
- Have been laid off from a job in Sedgwick, Butler or Sumner counties, or lived in those counties at the time of the layoff, between Oct. 1, 2008 and the present.
Services at the Laid-Off Workers Center will include:
- Emergency financial assistance (food, utilities, and shelter). Checks will be written directly to the merchant, landlord or utility company. No cash on premises.
- Budget and debt management counseling
- Arrangements for utility bill payment plans
- Help applying for government programs
- Job training and job search assistance
- Continuing education information
- On-site child care services during the appointment
- Food assistance
All services at the Laid-Off Workers Center are by appointment only
- Individuals can begin making appointments May 19 at 8 a.m.
- Phone number for appointments: 2-1-1 (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Deadline for making June session appointments: May 22