Court documents lay out allegations of a sinister plan to kill a southwest Kansas mother of two involved in a "problematic custody battle" with the children's paternal grandmother. 

Veronica Butler, 27, and Jilian Kelley, 39, were driving through the Oklahoma panhandle to pick up Butler’s children for a March 30 birthday party in Kansas. They never showed up, and their vehicle was found later that day, abandoned on a rural highway in Texas County, Oklahoma with evidence of foul play.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokesperson Hunter McKee said Monday that Butler and Kelley are dead, but did not confirm whether two bodies found in Texas County on Sunday are the two women. 

Authorities on Saturday said they arrested and charged four people with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of conspiracy to commit murder in the first degree: Tad Cullum, 43; Tifany Adams, 54; Cole Twombly, 50, and Cora Twombly, 44. The suspects call themselves "God's Misfits," a small anti-government group.

Below are just some of the details from a four-page arrest affidavit in the case:

On Saturday, March 30, the Texas County Sheriff's Office requested the OSBI's assistance with the suspicious disappearance of Butler and Kelley. Their vehicle was found abandoned near Highway 95 and Road L, south of Elkhart, Kansas. 

Authorities discovered during interviews that Butler "was in a problematic custody battle with Tifany Adams" for custody of Butler's two children. Butler's visits with her children were court ordered to be supervised every Saturday. Kelley, the wife of a Hugoton pastor, accompanied Butler as her court-authorized choice to supervise visitations.

Butler told family members she was going to pick up her children from Adams at 10 a.m. on March 30 at Four Corners in Texas County. Butler and Kelley left Hugoton and traveled to Highway 95 and Road L, about five miles north of Four Corners. They arrived there at 9:40 a.m.

When Butler and her daughter did not arrive at a birthday party back in Kansas, Butler's family began to look for her. They found her abandoned vehicle and evidence of severe injury, including blood on the roadway and edge of the roadway and Butler's glasses in the roadway near a broken hammer. There was a pistol magazine in Kelley's purse at the scene, but no pistol was found. 

Butler's and Kelley's phones stopped transmitting at 9:42 a.m.

While investigating, authorities learned that a custody hearing was scheduled for April 17. Butler's attorney informed the OSBI that Butler was likely to get unsupervised visitation with her children. The document said Adams at times would refuse to let her son have his children even though he had legal custody of them. 

It was reported to law enforcement that in late February, the children's father told a family member that they wouldn't have to worry about the custody battle much longer because "Adams had it under control" and that "we will take out Veronica at drop-off."

On April 1, the day after Butler's vehicle was found, OSBI agents searched Adams' phone. Search history included "taser pain level," "gun shops," "prepaid cellular phones," and "how to get someone out of their house."

On April 3, agent interviews the 16-year-old daughter of suspect Cora Twombly. The teen said she had overheard a conversation related to Butler not protecting her children from Butler's brother, which was in reference to a sexual abuse allegation. The teen said Cora told her that Adams had provided "burner" phones so the suspects could communicate without using their personal devices. The teen reported seeing two "burner" phones charging on Cora's nightstand in her bedroom. 

Cora Twombly reportedly told her daughter that Cora and her husband, Cole Twombly, were going on a "mission" on March 30. The teen awoke at 10 a.m. that day, and Cora and Cole were not home. They arrived at at around noon and the teen was told to clean the interior of a Chevrolet pickup. The teen asked Cora what happened and was told that "things did not go as planned, but that they wound not have to worry about her (Butler) ever again."

"(The teen) was told that Cora and Cole blocked to road to stop Butler and Kelley and divert them to where Adams and the fourth suspect were. (The teen) asked about Kelley and why she had to died and was told by Cora that she wasn't innocent either, as she had supported Butler."

The affidavit listed a fifth person's name, but that person has not been arrested or charged.

The affidavit says there were other attempts to kill Butler in February near Hugoton in which the four suspects and the fifth person went to Hugoton, but Butler did not leave her home. That is "consistent with the web search discovered on Adams' phone about how to get someone out of their house."

"According to Cora, the plan was to throw an anvil through Butler's windshield while driving, making it look like an accident because anvils regularly fall off work vehicles."

The OSBI investigation showed that Adams bought five stun guns in Guymon on March 30 and three pre-paid cellphones in Guymon on February 13. It was learned that those three phones were at the area where Butler's car was found.

After the women disappeared, the phones were at a property about 8.5 miles away from where the abandoned vehicle was found. Fresh dirt work was located below a dam in a pasture. The affidavit said "a hole had been dug and filled back in and then covered with hay. The document did not provide additional details regarding the dig site. 

It's unclear where Butler's children were during the crime. The OSBI said affidavits weren't unsealed until all suspects were in custody in part to protect them.