HAYSVILLE, Kan. (KAKE) - The Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office says the man killed by police on Tuesday in Haysville appears to be a suicide-by-cop situation.

Sheriff Jeffrey Easter said Thursday that officers fired 22 rounds at 68-year-old Bill Osterhout on Tuesday after he pointed his handgun at police while making suicidal statements. 

Officers responded just before 5 p.m. Tuesday to check the welfare of a reported suicidal person at a home in the 200 block of North Lamar. Upon arrival, Police Chief Jeff Whitfield said officers did not find the person at the address but got a vehicle description and a tag number. Police also made contact with the calling party, Osterhout's girlfriend, who showed authorities a series of concerning texts that led them to believe Osterhout was actively suicidal or had already died by suicide.

Police were able to locate the Osterhout at around 5:30 p.m. in his truck in the parking lot of Main Street Liquor. Easter said that an officer made contact with Osterhout and was in the process of talking to him about the statements he made to his girlfriend when two other officers arrived on the scene and also approached the truck. One of the officers joined the first officer on the passenger side, and a third officer stood on the driver's side.

The third officer on the driver's side saw a gun in Osterhout's lap and announced this over the radio and to the other officers on the scene. 

Easter says that at this point, Osterhout pointed the gun at his head and made suicidal statements while asking for the officers to shoot him. Officers said they did not want to do that. 

At 5:42 p.m., police on the scene announced a shots fired call and requested EMS to the scene.

Osterhout made a deliberate swing of his arm and pointed the gun at one of the officers, according to Easter. Two other officers fired at Osterhout and he dropped his gun. The two officers fired 22 times. Osterhout was then removed from the vehicle and police on scene began CPR. EMS crews arrived shortly after and pronounced him dead at the scene. 

During the news conference Thursday, Sheriff Easter said Haysville police responded to a call Sunday night, just two days before the shooting, to Osterhout's residence regarding an argument between him and his girlfriend.

Sheriff Easter says the investigation is ongoing and anyone with video or who was a witness to this event should call the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office Investigation Section at (316) 660-5300. The findings from the investigation will be presented to the Sedgwick County District Attorney who will determine if any charges should be filed.