WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - Tuesday, city leaders spent hours discussing the long-anticipated pickleball complex in south Wichita, and not everyone was convinced it should go on as planned.

The problem-ridden project, costing more than $6 million, the city started in March of 2021 is now at a standstill.

"I feel like we're kind of in a space of how folks say Wichita sometimes accepts being good, rather than pushing for having a great opportunity," said City Coucilman Brandon Johnson.

In October 2021, the City Council approved $3 million for the new complex at South Lakes Park near 47th and S Meridian. In April 2023, the cost of the project doubled, so it approved an additional $3 million. In December of last year, the city chose a contractor, but fired them last month because the company left out important details that would have cost more than the approved bid.

Now, city leaders can't agree on whether the project should even go on.

As planned, the complex would include 24 courts, indoor concessions and restrooms, a green space for events, and more.

But at this point, City Councilman Dalton Glasscock wonders if the city should change the plan to move some of the courts to Riverside, and use the savings to address South Lakes homeless problem.

"Let's say we advocate $4 million of this $6 million so we can enforce our laws, which is a quality of life issue that I think has an effect on building a park in South Lakes if you have an encampment over there as well," said Glasscock.

City Manager Robert Layton says it will take some time to come up with a changed proposal for City Council to vote on.

Until then, pickleball fans will just have to keep waiting.