WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - Two women are expected to survive a shooting at a Wichita apartment complex that took the life of a young boy Monday evening.

Wichita police said Tuesday that the suspect fired multiple rounds from a handgun into an apartment just southeast of Pawnee and Oliver. When officers responded to the shooting at around 7 p.m., they found two 24-year-old women and a 1-year-old child who had been shot. The women's injuries were critical but non-life-threatening. The child died. 

"It was initially advised that the child was 3-months-old at the time of the preliminary briefing, but as the investigation unfolded, it was learned that the correct age is 1-year-old," WPD said in Tuesday's news release. 

The apartment was also occupied by a 24-year-old man, a 5-year-old girl and a 10-month-old girl. They were not hurt.

“I am deeply saddened and outraged by the violent and heinous crime that has occurred in our community. The killing of a 1-year-old child is an unspeakable tragedy that has left us all shaken," Wichita Police Chief Joe Sullivan said. "This senseless act of violence strikes at the core of our community's values. Our children should be cherished and protected, not subjected to such senseless acts."

Police belief the shooting was targeted. The circumstances are still under investigation, and WPD said detectives are following up on promising leads for the arrest of the suspect.

No names have been released. 

Anyone with information is asked to call WPD investigators at (316) 268-4407 or Crime Stoppers at (316) 267-2111. The case number is 24C029658.

Previous story:

A baby has been killed and two women suffered critical injuries in a shooting in southeast Wichita.

The call came shortly after 7 p.m. Monday for a shooting at Sugar Creek Apartments at 2550 South Oliver. Officers arrived and found a baby boy and two 24-year-old women with gunshot wounds. The baby was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Chief Joe Sullivan said there were the children in the home at the time of the shooting and called it a "cowardly act."

"What we do know is this: We do know some cowardly individual walked up to a house with no idea who was inside and really didn't care who was inside and fired several rounds into that home, and now we have this terrible tragedy," said Chief Sullivan. "Once again, someone wanted a permanent solution to what I'm sure is a temporary problem. I can guarantee you this will all be over something stupid."

Chief Sullivan added that the Wichita Police Department would be working overnight to find the person who committed this horrible act of violence.

"If you're listening to this, the only option you have is to turn yourself in."

KAKE got a closer look at the apartment on Tuesday. The glass patio door was shattered, and tape market multiple bullet holes. 

WPD said Tuesday morning that a news release would be provided "in the near future."