SEDGWICK COUNTY, Kan. (KAKE) - The Sedgwick County District Attorney’s Office wants consumers, including those who use Best Value Services for trash pickup, to know its Consumer Protection Division is ready to help if you are experiencing frustrations with a business. 

KAKE News has been following complaints that Best Value is not picking up trash in both Wichita and Haysville since early this year. Assistant District Attorney Jason Roach told KAKE News his office cannot comment on businesses with open complaints under investigation.

“Using the law, even as a consumer, is an option, but if you are looking at a particularized problem with a business, and you don't know where to turn, emailing [email protected] is at least a good first step,” Roach said. 

Roach said the DA’s office receives hundreds of complaints every year about companies in Sedgwick County. It enforces the Kansas Consumer Protection Act. 

“The goal isn't just to put people out of business, it’s to make consumers happy and have a successful community, and to do that, we need successful businesses,” he said. 

There are eight trash vendors in Sedgwick County, including Best Value Services. Roach said if you are a consumer in a similar situation, one of the first steps to consider is changing vendors. 

“If they’re not getting you to a refund, if you've paid with a credit card, you can dispute the charge of your credit card,” Roach said. “If you've paid with a check, typically, you could try to stop the check, but that's likely not to happen if it's been cashed.”

One Haysville resident and Best Value customer told KAKE News that she is trying to do exactly that. She is now using a different trash service but said she cannot get a hold of Best Value to request a refund. 

“They’re always late,” she said. “They never show up on the day that they're supposed to. I've tried to call multiple times, even just to make payments, and like nobody ever answers.” 

You can file a complaint against a business by emailing Roach’s office at [email protected]. You can also call (316) 660-3600 and ask for the Consumer Protection division.