Kansas City teen dies of fentanyl overdose
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KAKE) - A North Kansas City high school sophomore is dead after he took a pill he didn't know was laced with fentanyl, his school district says.
Ethan Everley took the pill outside of the Oak Park High School last Thursday and died Tuesday afternoon, according to North Kansas City Schools.
"You have a better chance of surviving Russian roulette than you do taking one of these pills," said Sara Boyd with the Clay County Sheriff's Office.
The sheriff's office has seen a major increase in drug overdoses in the last two years, especially involving drugs laced with fentanyl.
"We're seeing more and more marijuana laced with fentanyl, heroin laced with fentanyl. It's getting into all the illicit drugs," Boyd said.
North Kansas City Schools said Everley didn't know the pill was laced.
The sheriff's office said many young people find their dealers on social media and communicate with them on apps like Snapchat. The district's message to parents: check your child's phone for any drug activity and educate them about the dangers of drug use.
KMBC reports support staff will be at Oak Park to speak with students about Ethan's sudden death.