MANHATTAN, Kan. (KAKE) - Kansas agriculture officials are warning residents of a plant that is poisonous to people and livestock. 

K-State Research and Extension says poison hemlock appears each spring and is often confused with wild carrot.

"Frequently found in wet, disturbed sites, such as stream banks, at the edges of a field or pasture, it may grow to a height of six to seven feet. It’s a biennial, growing from seed in the fall into a rosette and bolting the following year," K-State said.

All parts of poison hemlock are toxic and have the ability to affect the nervous system.

"Poison hemlock poses a serious risk to livestock if ingested, though most animals tend to avoid eating it. Risks include birth defects in pregnant animals and death from nervous system failure. It is best to remove it from pastures to keep animals safe. In humans, poison hemlock is most toxic when ingested, though inhalation or contact with skin can cause reactions as well."

Mowing, chopping and chemical control can be effective in controlling poison hemlock. Click here for more information.