PARTRIDGE, Kan. (KAKE) - Authorities say careless smoking is to blame for an accidental fire that destroyed a Partridge home Tuesday morning.

Reno County fire crews were called to a fire on North Reno Street around 4 a.m. Upon arrival, crews encountered a working fire in the northeast part of the home, and made an aggressive interior attack to try and extinguish the fire. The fire extended into the attic and began spreading very rapidly throughout the home due to strong northern winds. Because of the rapid spread of the fire and deteriorating conditions inside, crews were moved to a defensive attack from the home's exterior.
 
Because the City of Partridge does not have hydrants or a water supply, water had to be hauled to the scene from nearby fire districts. Seven 3,000 gallon tenders were used to supply water to the scene.
 
Once the fire was knocked down, crews were unable to conduct overhaul operations due to hoarder conditions and the roof collapsing. An excavator from Miller Earthworks was called in to level the home. Reno County EMS responded and conducted rehab for working crews.
 
Three people were in the home at the time of the fire, and were able to get out safely.