HAYS, Kan. (KAKE) -  Industrial hygienists from the Wichita-based company iSi Environmental performed an inspection of the dorms at Fort Hays State University and discovered two types of mold throughout the building.

The mold was found in two through-the-wall heating and air conditioning units in McMindes Hall. After sending a sample off for overnight testing, iSi determined it to be two types of allergen-producing mold.

FHSU has hired Restore and Clean, a bonded, insured, and Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certified commercial and residential cleaning and restoration company to clear out the mold. 

Beginning on Monday, Feb. 19, cleaning crews will open and clean every through-the-wall heating and air conditioning unit in McMindes Hall and replace each unit's interior insultation. After McMindes Hall, the crews will move on to Victor E. Village.

FHSU said the mold is not dangerous enough to require students to vacate the area but students will have to leave their dorm rooms while cleaning crews remove the mold.

The clean up is expected to take around 60 days.

Any students with immediate concerns about their residence hall space are encouraged to submit a work order online at https://www.fhsu.edu/reslife/Forms/, and any student with a particular health concern may reach out to Residential Life at 785-628-4245.