Police: 2 Hays residents arrested in connection to fentanyl death
HAYS, Kan. (KAKE) - Two people from Hays have been arrested in connection to a fentanyl overdose death last month.
The Hays Post reports that at 6:35 p.m. on Feb. 26, police officers were sent to the 200 block of west Fourth on the report of an unresponsive woman.
“Officers arrived and lifesaving efforts were attempted, but it was determined that female had passed,” Hays Police Department Chief Don Scheibler said.
Scheibler says the most likely source was a counterfeit Oxycodone tablet.
On March 2, police served a warrant in the 2800 block of Grant Avenue after finding pills consistent with the pills found at the death scene.
Following an investigation, police arrested 48-year-old Kimberly Beth Schmeidler and 36-year-old Brandon Joseph Kahrs, both from Hays.
Schmeidler was arrested on:
- Suspicion of distribution of a controlled substance causing death.
- Use of a communication facility in the commission of a felony drug violation.
- Possession of methamphetamine.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Possession with intent to distribute an opiate and possession with intent to distribute a narcotic drug.
Kahrs was arrested on:
- Suspicion of possession with intent to use an opiate.
- Possession with intent to use drug paraphernalia.
- Possession to distribute an opiate.
Both Kahrs and Schmeidler were booked into Ellis County Jail.