WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - A 21-year-old man has been charged days after he allegedly kidnapped three children over two days, sexually assaulting two of them, in southeast Wichita. 

Manasseh Ward made his first court appearance Tuesday afternoon and was charged with: 

  • Four counts of indecent liberties with a child.
  • Three counts of aggravated criminal sodomy.
  • Two counts of rape.
  • One count of kidnapping.
  • One count of aggravated kidnapping.
  • One count of aggravated assault.
  • One count of interference with law enforcement. 

A judge set his bond at $600,000. 

Police said Ward abducted a 13-year-old girl who was walking home from school near Boston Park last Wednesday. He allegedly forced her into a car and sexually assaulted her. She was let go and told a family member what happened, and the family member called police.

The next morning, a 7-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl reported that they were walking to Clark Elementary School when a stranger approached and offered them a ride. Ward allegedly put both kids in the car and dropped off the boy soon after, continuing on with the girl. Officer Ditch said police located the girl safe a short time later. 

"The suspect released both children, but not before sexually assaulting the female," Wichita police said in a news release last week. 

As the 7-year-old boy was riding with an officer on his way to the hospital for a checkup, he spotted the suspect's car parked at a restaurant near Harry and Woodlawn. More units responded and arrested Ward after a brief foot chase. 

Ward was initially booked on 17 counts that included aggravated counts of kidnapping, indecent liberties with a child, criminal sodomy, criminal threat and assault, as well as a probation violation. 

His next court appearance was scheduled for Jan. 26.