Firefighters save puppy from fentanyl overdose
COLDWATER, Mich. (WWMT/CNN Newsource) — A group of West Michigan firefighters saved a puppy who was overdosing from the deadly drug fentanyl.
A man rushed his puppy named Whip to the Coldwater Fire Department after the dog overdosed from exposure to a fentanyl patch Saturday, according to Coldwater Fire Chief Dave Schmaltz.
"You don't expect that kind of call," Schmaltz said.
The pup likely overdosed from fentanyl after it chewed on a fentanyl patch found in his owner's garbage can, according to Schamltz.
"He was drooling, kind of out of it and shaking. The overdose signs you would see in an individual," Schamltz said. I don't think the dog would have made it."
Whip's owners brought her to the fire station where firefighters administered two doses of the drug Naloxone, also known as Narcan, a life-saving drug used to revive those who have overdosed on opioids.
"After that the puppy was bounding around like nothing happened," Schamltz said.
Fentanyl patches are prescribed by health care providers and release fentanyl through the skin to treat opioid-tolerant patients who need daily, round the clock long-term pain medicine, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The patch is generally replaced every three days, according to health officials.
"Even after the three days of using, it, they still have medication left, up to 50 percent," Schamltz said.
Children can overdose on new and used fentanyl patches by putting them in their mouth or sticking the patches on their skin. This can cause death by slowing the child’s breathing and decreasing the levels of oxygen in their blood, according to the FDA.
The FDA recommends promptly disposing of used patches by folding them in half with the sticky sides together
They should not be placed in the household trash, where children or pets can find them, the FDA said.
FDA has specific recommendations for opioid disposal which recommends flushing any drug that contains the word "fentanyl."
Whip appeared to be in good health following the treatment and will be monitored until her follow-up with a veterinarian, according to firefighters.
™ & © 2022 WWMT and Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.