6-year-old boy recovering after losing both feet in lawn mower accident
PITTSBURGH, Pa. (KAKE) - A 6-year-old Pennsylvania boy is back home with his parents after a lawnmower accident left in the hospital for three months.
Liam Lavelle was riding with his father on the family's zero-turn mower on July 30 when the blades were activated accidentally. WTAE reports that as Liam attempted to get off the machine, both of his feet were amputated.
According to to the Pittsburgh ABC affiliate, Liam required 19 surgeries during his stay in the hospital.
"His resilience, his resilience has gotten me through, and it shocked me completely," said Liam's mother, Jenna Gardowsky. "It's amazing."
The local community and well-wishers from around the country sent cards, food and financial donations. Liam's family says $160,000 has been donated so far.
"I just want to say thank you so much to our community. It means so much to our family. Support has been amazing and we are beyond grateful," Liam's mom said.
The video below is of previous coverage from WTAE.