YAVAPAI COUNTY, Ariz. (CNN) -- First responders in Arizona worked tirelessly to help bring some comfort to the sole survivor of a tragic car crash that killed both his parents and older brother in July.

The scene was traumatic. Even for veteran first responders.

The Stone family, driving home last month from a family reunion, slid across the highway in a rainstorm near Ash Fork, Arizona, crossed the center divider and collided with a semi-truck.

Parents Brian and Alison and their 8-year-old son Oliver were killed. Only 6-year-old Alex survived.

"I told him you gotta be tough, and just come on, we gotta get you out of here," says Tracy Zinn, a Kaibab Estates West volunteer firefighter.

Zinn, a local volunteer firefighter, just happened to be driving by the day of the crash.

"That car was so crushed that the little boy was in the front seat window," he recalls.

The entire Kaibab Estates West Volunteer Fire Department also responded.

Five days later, they got another call for help, when Alex was in the hospital and kept asking for his stuffed animal, "Cookie."

"I remembered seeing the blue on the hill and that day I didn't realize it was a Cookie Monster but I saw a blue stuffed something that day," said Zinn.

So the team headed back out to the site to look for it, on a highway still littered with debris.

"We had kind of passed the scene so we came back and walked down the freeway till we found the spot. We came up on a mission to rescue Cookie Monster. That was the goal of the day," says volunteer firefighter Jessica Puisis.

Even the fire chief's daughter pitched in to help.

"So he was over here kind of hidden by the bushes and all I could see was a bit of blue, he was covered in dirt, mud all this debris and was really torn up from what happened," remembers Violet Gunn.

Cookie, muddy and battered, needed some first aid

"He's obviously been very well loved. So I just scrubbed him up as best I could in the sink and just rinsed and rinsed him and scrubbed him and until he was as blue as he was going to be," says Puisis.

Then they headed to the hospital

"We didn't have time to dry him because we knew it was gonna be so late already. So Tracy held him out the window of the truck, driving him the entire hour and 15-minute drive," says Puisis.

Alex's grandmother, Cindy Mason, says everyone at the hospital was excited when they walked in.

"It was so important to Alex to have Cookie, you know, he just loved him and so just to see them was really just I will never forget it," she says.

She says Cookie and his big brother Teddy Bear are always close by.

"When we told Alexander about Oliver, the first thing he asked for was Teddy. But he was just so glad to get Cookie and so they were just, he holds them both together now," says Mason.

Alex is expected to fully recover from his injuries, and he's now holding on to Cookie as well as his memories of his parents and his brother.

The firefighters are also supporting a GoFundMe campaign for Alex and his grandmother, who is now his primary caregiver.

She asked Alex what he'd like to tell the firefighters who helped him.

"I thank them for giving me Cookie. I want them to come be here so I could see them again," he says.