WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - The TBT is officially underway in Wichita, with Kansas State and Wichita State both fielding teams in this year's Wichita regional. Wichita State’s team, the “Aftershocks”, took on “We Are D3” in their first round matchup tonight.

Charles Koch Arena was rocking from the start. The Shocker faithful didn’t miss a beat from last year, cheering as loud as ever for their old heroes. The Shocks fed off of this energy and dominated from jump street. They put up 13 points before D3 scored any. Tyrus McGee, Conner Frankamp, Rashard Kelly, Markis McDuffie and James Dickey all chipped in and hit their first shots from the field, jolting the Aftershocks to that 13-0 run. They played with so much energy on both ends of the floor, racking up 5 steals in the first quarter as well. After one, the Aftershocks took a 21-7 lead, with seven different guys all scoring at least one basket.

The second quarter was much of the same. Rashard Kelly came in and asserted his will on to the D3 defenders, hitting a three and putting a guy on a poster all in about 30 seconds. He would finish the half with 9 points. The Aftershocks were just too much for D3. They were doing whatever they wanted on offense, and not giving up any easy looks on defense. It was a true collective effort for the Shocks, as each guy came in and contributed. They had more fun on the court than any other team in this regional, and the fans were with them every step of the way. After a wild half-court buzzer beater by Tyrus McGee to end the half, the Aftershocks held a 38-19 lead.

The second half was more of the same. The Aftershocks came out in a press and D3 couldn’t break it. The Shocks continued to run up and down the floor and it was still too much for D3 to handle. James Dickey and Rashard Kelly were the spark plugs, and the rest of the team fed off of them. McGee and Frankamp knocked down multiple threes each, McDuffie hit some jumpers, and they pretty much ran away with the game in the third quarter. D3 did hit a couple of threes eventually, but it was far too little too late.  After three, the Aftershocks held a 65-34 lead.

The Aftershocks led 75-48 at the under 4 minute timeout in the fourth quarter, making the ELAM Ending target score 83. The Shocks took care of this just fine, with James Dickey knocking down two free throws to end it. 

 Led in scoring by Samajae Haynes-Jones with 13 points, the Aftershocks cruised to an easy 83-52 win over D3. They will face Texas Tech’s alumni squad, the “Air Raiders”, tomorrow night to try and clinch a spot in the regional championship game for the second year in a row.