Multiple pets die in house explosion in McPherson County

Posted: Updated:
Galva, Kan. (KAKE) -

Friends and family dug through rubble near Galva Thursday afternoon, trying to salvage anything still in tact after a house explosion.

Kimberlee Carlson and her husband Richard were not at home when their house exploded around 5 p.m. Wednesday. The blast from the explosion could be heard as far away as McPherson and Lindsborg, according to firefighters.

"It's pretty surreal," Kimberlee said. "You're pretty numb. You don't quite know how to process it all."

The Carlsons lost their three dogs, a pet pig and several cats in the blast. Galva Fire Chief Wayne Williams said he's never seen anything like it. 

"It's just leveled," Williams said. "There's pieces 150 feet in each direction. Everything from pieces of a stool to a washing machine with a ring out. Everything is in pieces."

"This stuff is all replaceable," Kimberlee said. "We lost our family pets. That probably hurts more than anything. They are irreplaceable. Where do we even start? Where do we start to rebuild?"

Richard was at work when the blast happened, and Kimberlee said she would have normally been home at that time.

"I would like to say it was a God thing," Kimberlee said. "I had some last-minute stuff come across my desk at work that I had to get done. So, I completed that, and I was stopped at a store to grab a couple things."

Both Kimberlee and the fire chief said those stops on the way home probably saved her life.

"I think so," Williams said. "Definitely. If she'd have pulled up, she wouldn't have survived a blast like that."

The state Fire Marshall was investigating the exact cause of the explosion, but Williams said he believes it's propane-related.

"It's propane," Williams said. "Propane leak of some type. They'd had service men there earlier in the day, they thought they smelled propane."

"We had had some heater issues and had some repairs made," Kimberlee said. "But we don't have any idea if that caused it or something."

Kimberlee said their next step is to find a place to live.

"Then, we just have to start rebuilding," Kimberlee said. "And put one foot in front of the other. That's all we can do."

Kimberlee's daughter set up a fundraiser through Facebook. Click here to find out how you can help, or visit . Kimberlee's daughter also warned against a similar fundraiser where someone is impersonating her, and cautions against using another link.

Original story:

Authorities say a house explosion in central Kansas killed numerous pets Wednesday evening. 

It happened at around 5 p.m. on 24th Avenue near Galva. Investigators say there was a propane leak at the home, but they're unsure what exactly sparked the gas. The house was destroyed.

The man and woman who lived at the house were not home at the time. Three dogs, several cats and a pig were killed. 

According to fire officials, the residents reported smelling natural gas earlier in the day. 

The state fire marshal's office is investigating. Friends and family were on scene Thursday helping with the clean-up. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to


  • Most Popular Stories

    • Police identify woman killed in north Wichita accident

      A woman is dead after an accident in north Wichita.

    • Trio caught on camera taking guitar

      Security cameras captured three men taking a guitar from a West Wichita store. 

    • WSU changes gen ed requirements

      Big changes for Wichita State students working toward a degree.  The university voted in favor of lowering the number of general education credit hours required.  Kenzie Goering is studying to become a nurse, but she doesn't understand how certain courses will prepare her for her patients. "It just doesn't make sense to take a history class. Personally I'm majoring in nursing so I feel like history doesn't really apply to anything I'll be doing in the future so just t...

    • Man injured after running in front of bus in east Wichita

      One person is in critical condition after a wreck in east Wichita. 

    • Baseball stadium progress ahead of team name announcement

      From the Wichita Linemen to the Doo Dah's, even the River Riders, Wichita's new Triple-A baseball team has kept the city on its toes with name after name. So far, not one has stuck. "We've tried to be really good listeners to the community and what we wanted to do is choose something that you're going to be proud to wear," says Team owner, Lou Schwechheimer.  For months, the team's twitter account has released logos and names that might or might not be in the run...

    • Andrew Finch

      Swatting victim's mother continues to push for change in Wichita amid lawsuit

      "There is not a single day that goes by I don't think of my son and granddaughter," Lisa Finch told the Wichita City Council Tuesday morning.  "All the while screaming inside that they didn't have to die." 

    • Google street view

      Fast food cashier and manager fired for refusing to serve police officer

      Two fast food employees have been fired after one of them refused to serve a police officer who wanted to order food from the establishment. The incident occurred at the Cook Out restaurant in Roxboro, North Carolina when Kenneth Horton, an army vet and veteran police officer, visited the chain restaurant and was denied service by the cashier. "We're saddened that an employee denied service to a police officer. We promote unity. The public here knows that. And, unfortunately, t...
    • Wellington couple donates $1.6 million to K-State

      The estate of a Wellington couple donated $1.6 million to establish scholarships for students in Kansas State's College of Business Administration. 

    • Andover city council members voted Tuesday night to move forward with an apartment complex development that caused controversy among nearby residents. 

    • Chemical mixture at Buffalo Wild Wings kills 1 employee

      Massachusetts authorities say a Buffalo Wild Wings employee has died after breathing in fumes from a powerful cleaning agent at the restaurant and at least 10 people have been hospitalized.