Random attack: Wichita mother pleaded for man to stop stabbing her

Posted: Updated:

A court document released this week says a documented gang member accused of randomly attacking a woman stabbed and cut the victim approximately 30 times.

Wade Dunn is charged with attempted first-degree murder in the September 23 attack. Police and emergency crews responded just before noon that day to the report of a woman bleeding in the 7400 block of East 17th Street. The first officer on scene found the 28-year-old woman lying in the grass. She had multiple severe injuries and said her baby was alone in her home. 

After securing the home and locating the victim's child unharmed, EMS transported the woman to Wesley Medical Center where it was discovered she'd suffered multiple deep and severe cut injuries all over her body, including her head, neck, arms, chest and feet.

The probable cause affidavit revealed that a forensic nurse estimated the victim has 30 separate wounds. 

Days later, the woman told investigators that she was loading laundry into her vehicle in her driveway and was walking back into the house when she heard someone running up her driveway. 

"(She) turned and saw an unknown white male running at her with s knife in his right hand pointed toward her," the affidavit says.

According to the document, the man didn't say anything and began stabbing her. She fell to the ground and tried kicking the suspect to get him to stop.

As he continued to stab her, she pleaded for him to stop, saying, "I am a mother, please don't do this, please stop."

Then, just and quickly as the attack began, the suspect stopped, looked around and ran off. The attack lasted approximately 17 seconds.

The victim couldn't call 911 because her phone was covered in blood. So she ran to a neighbor's house and banged on the door. Her neighbor made the 911 call. 

Investigators learned that two home surveillance systems got video of the suspect. One showed him looking over his shoulder and running up the victim's driveway. The other showed him throwing items into a storm drain after the attack. A bloody shirt and bent paring knife were found in the drain. 

Law enforcement also received tips on September 27 that Wade Dunn, a documented Insane Clown Posse street gang member, was the suspect. Police arrested Dunn, who was wanted on a federal escape warrant, just after midnight the next day. Investigators used video and physical evidence to connect him to the crime. 

Dunn remains jailed on $500,000 bond, and he's due back in district court on November 7.

As for the federal escape warrant, a criminal complaint accuses Dunn of escaping from the Mirror Residential Reentry Center hours before the attack. 

Dunn was sentenced in July of 2017 to 33 months in federal prison unlawful possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. In July of this year, the U.S. Bureau of Prisons transferred him to the Mirror center in Wichita to serve the remainder of his sentence.

Kansas Department of Corrections records show Dunn has prior state convictions that include criminal threat, burglary and theft. He was last released from state prison in June of 2017. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.