Fire crews work to contain fire in west Wichita

Posted: Updated:
WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

Fire crews battled a fire at a home in west Wichita on Monday night.

The incident happened around 7:20 p.m. at a house in the 700 block of North Custer Street, by Central and Zoo Boulevard.

Upon arrival, heavy smoke could be seen from the outside and flames coming from the basement window. An entry had to be cut from the outside due to the basement stairs being completely burned through.

It took crews about 45 minutes to contain the fire.

Investigators determined that the fire was accidental. An unattended candle was left on a bed and caught on fire.

They believe eight people lived at the rental house and no one was hurt.

The fire caused $35,000 in damage to the structure and $8,000 to the contents.

This year, the Wichita Police Department has been called multiple times and seven cases have been made from that address. Officer Charley Davidson said one incident involved finding drug paraphernalia. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE