Placido Domingo resigns as general director of LA Opera

Posted: Updated:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -

Opera star Placido Domingo resigned Wednesday as general director of the Los Angeles Opera and withdrew from future performances at the company following multiple allegations of sexual harassment reported by The Associated Press.

“I hold Los Angeles Opera very dearly to my heart and count my work to create and build it as among my most important legacies,” said Domingo, 78, who helped found the company in the 1980s.

“However, recent accusations that have been made against me in the press have created an atmosphere in which my ability to serve this company that I so love has been compromised,” Domingo said in a statement, saying he will continue to work to clear his name but decided “it is in the best interests of LA Opera for me to resign as general director and withdraw from my future scheduled performances at this time.”

The resignation comes a week after the Metropolitan Opera’s bombshell announcement that Domingo would not be taking the stage as the lead of “Macbeth” and possibly ever again. Three other companies _ the Philadelphia Orchestra, San Francisco Opera and Dallas Opera _ had already removed Domingo from upcoming performances in the wake of AP stories that detailed multiple allegations of harassment and a variety of misconduct alleged by singers, a dancer and backstage opera employees over a period that spanned decades.

In two reports published August 13 and September 5th, the AP spoke to more than 20 women who accused Domingo of sexual harassment or other inappropriate, sexually charged conduct. Many said Domingo tried to pressure them into sexual relationships and sometimes punished them professionally if they rejected him. All said they feared reporting him because of his power to make or break their careers, and that his behavior was an open secret in the opera world.

Domingo has denied any wrongdoing.

Domingo’s departure from LA Opera raises questions about the future of his career in the United States, where he has been removed or has stepped down from all of his scheduled appearances for this year and next.

He still has a busy schedule of concerts across Europe, where the reaction to the allegations has been more muted.

The LA Opera Board of Directors thanked Domingo for his contributions to the art form in a separate statement Wednesday, which did not mention the allegations or an ongoing investigation into his alleged behavior.

“Placido Domingo’s contributions to the cultural life of Los Angeles have been unprecedented and profound,” the statement said. “We thank Placido for popularizing opera in the consciousness of Los Angeles and are deeply grateful for his inspiration and dedication to our institution and our community.”

  • Most Popular Stories

    • CHRIS NEAL / FOR THE KANSAS NEWS SERVICE

      People in the emptying parts of rural Kansas insist 'we're not going to let them die'

      Rural Kansas has a storied past, but decades of population decline stand poised to turn many once-vibrant places into ghost towns.

    • WKOW photo

      An African American security guard asked a student to not call him the N-word. That request got him fired

      An African American security guard told a student to stop calling him the N-word. It cost him his job. Marlon Anderson was a security guard at Madison West High School in Wisconsin. Last Wednesday, he was called in to help the assistant principal escort a student from school grounds, he told CNN. The student was resisting, including yelling and pushing the principal. Anderson called for backup, and the student started yelling expletives at him, including the racial slur, Anderson sa...
    • Police investigate after man found dead in north WIchita canal

      Wichita police are investigating after a body was found in a canal in north Wichita.

    • Gabe Eye (GoFundMe)

      Hutchinson football player in ICU after injury during game

      A Hutchinson High School football player remains in intensive care after he was injured during a game earlier this week. 

    • Commercial retail in Wichita slow to pick up on national trends

      Some of the latest trends in commercial retail show we can expect to see more innovative entertainment and dining options. Clothing brands may open a store simply for customers to try on clothes and get fitted for sizes. Retailers have created temporary pop-up shops with interactive experiences to test their newest products. And the Esports industry continues to thrive, with Simon Property Group investing $5 million earlier this year into esports promotion and arena operator A...
    • Tulsi Gabbard

      Hillary Clinton implies Gabbard is favored by Russia and could run a third party race

      Hillary Clinton appears to call Democratic presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard "the favorite of the Russians" in a recent interview, while also describing 2016 Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein as "a Russian asset." During a podcast appearance on Campaign HQ with David Plouffe, the former U.S. secretary of state and 2016 Democratic presidential nominee did not mention the Hawaii congresswoman by name, but says she believes the Russians have "got ...

    • Man dead in southeast Wichita shooting

      A man is dead following shooting outside a home in southeast Wichita. It happened around 4 a.m. Friday in the 4400 block of East Bayley Street.

    • Mom diagnosed with cancer early in pregnancy gives birth to healthy boy

      When Jade Devis of Rancho Cucamonga was diagnosed with a rare form of breast cancer during the first trimester of her pregnancy, she was warned that a difficult and dangerous road lay ahead. 

    • Halstead overrun with cats, humane society spaying and neutering

      Feral cats are running rampant in Halstead and residents are fed up with the problem. 

    • Jury recommends death penalty for 'Boy Next Door Killer'

      A Los Angeles jury recommended the death penalty Friday for a man dubbed “The Boy Next Door Killer” after he was found guilty of two murders and an attempted murder. The victims of 43-year-old Michael Gargiulo included 22-year-old Ashley Ellerin, who was killed on a night in 2001 when she had plans with actor Ashton Kutcher. He testified during the trial that he arrived late for his date with Ellerin, looked into her house when there was no answer at the door, and saw wh...