Man sentenced to more than 15 years for deadly Wichita shooting

Posted: Updated:
WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

A Wichita man has been sentenced to more than 15 years in prison for shooting and killing another man last year. 

District Judge Christopher Magana on Friday sentenced 24-year-old Douglas Pete to 187 months for the February 2018 death of 25-year-old Deontae "Bud" Mitchell," the Sedgwick County DA's office says. He pleaded guilty last month to second-degree murder, criminal discharge of a firearm and interference with law enforcement.

Officers found Mitchell lying on the curb in front of a house in the 1600 block of South Faulders in Wichita. He'd been shot in the back and died at the scene.

A witness on the front porch of the home told police she heard two shots and saw Pete in a black hooded sweatshirt pointing a handgun in Mitchell's direction. Pete later claimed the shooting was an accident.

The DA's office says Pete apologized to the victim's family during Friday's sentencing, but provided no motive for the killing.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE