10 officers cleared in Hutchinson shootout with suspect

Posted: Updated:
Brendan Jones (Reno County Sheriff's Office) Brendan Jones (Reno County Sheriff's Office)
Tyson Samuels Tyson Samuels
Tyson Samuels surrenders at the scene of a standoff in Hutchinson Tyson Samuels surrenders at the scene of a standoff in Hutchinson

The Reno County attorney has cleared 10 officers who opened fire on a suspect who was holed up in a Hutchinson home while firing at law enforcement last month. 

Officers responded at around 3 a.m. to a shooting call in the 300 bock of West 8th Street. County Attorney Keith Schroeder said a victim was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to the leg and officers identified the shooter as 21-year-old Brendan Jones. 

"Law enforcement was aware that Jones had an extensive record of criminal activity which included resistance to the police and other crimes of violence," Schroeder said. 

Several hours later, Hutchinson police determined Jones was inside a home in the 300 block of West 16th Street. Officers made efforts to get him to come out peacefully. 

"He told another individual in the house, 'If I go outside, I’m going with a gun.' At least three larger caliber semiautomatic pistols were also inside the house with Jones. They included a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson, a 9 mm Sig Saur, and a .45 caliber Taurus Millennium. "

Negotiators made contact with Jones while officers from multiple agencies secured a perimeter. 

Schroeder said that at around 7:15 a.m., Jones indicated he would surrender if he was allowed to talk to his mother, who lives several hours away, on the phone. 

It was two and a half hours later when officers learned another person, 18-year-old Tyson Samuels, was in the home. He surrendered without incident at around 11:15 a.m.

"He told the arrest team, "'You got to do something about Jones, he’s acting all kinds of crazy,'" Schroeder said.

When Jones' mother arrived on scene, she spoke to her son on the phone and tried to get him to surrender. He then told negotiators he would come out the front door.

Jones opened the front door at 11:31 a.m. and allegedly walked outside, raised a handgun and fired at officers multiple times. Officers returned fire, and Jones ducked back into the home while continuing to fire. 

Schroeder said Jones fired at least 11 shots at officers. One of them missed several officers by about three feet. None of them were hurt.

"During the gun battle, seven Hutchinson Police Officers, two Harvey County Sheriff’s Officers, and a Reno County Sheriff’s Officer discharged their weapons firing at least 150 rounds," the county attorney said. 

Jones was shot at least eight times and was hospitalized in Wichita.

"Based on my review of all the evidence, each Officer involved in this gun battle reacted based on both an objective and subjective reasonable belief that the use of lethal force was necessary to protect themselves or others from great bodily injury or death," Schroeder said. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.