Wichita police wound man while responding to domestic disturbance

Posted: Updated:

Wichita police say a 26-year-old man is recovering after being shot by an officer responding to an emergency call from the man's mother.

Officers responded at around 8 p.m. Sunday to a domestic violence disturbance near 51st Street North and Meridian. The mother told police her son arrived at the home and that there was a no contact order between the man and his father. 

After asking her son to leave, the mother called 911 and said he jumped in a lake behind the house.

"She also reported her son may be on methamphetamine and because he has a history of being violent, he could be combative with police," the Wichita Police Department said in a news release.

Officers found the suspect walking in the area and gave him commands to stop and show his hands. He refused and ran with his right hand at his waist area.

After more commands to stop, the suspect yelled obscenities and acted erratically.

"After reaching the middle of a field, the suspect abruptly stopped and squared his shoulders to an officer in a shooting type stance," the release says. "He drew an object believed to be a handgun."

Police Capt. Brent Allred said the officer fired three shots. Police later determined an object in the man's hand was not a gun.

The officer has been working with the department for seven months. He is on paid administrative leave, which is policy after a shooting.

Allred said the man was shot once in the abdomen and was hospitalized with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. He remains hospitalized Monday in stable condition.

The investigation is ongoing.

The Associated Press contributed to this update.  

Previous story:

A man is seriously hurt after an officer-involved shooting in northwest Wichita Sunday evening.

Wichita Police said officers responded to a domestic dispute at a home near 51st St N and Meridian, and that dispute moved out to a field in front of a home.

Someone who was not welcome showed up at the home and became aggressive.Officers shot at the aggressive person, who police identified as a 26-year-old man. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition, and he was in surgery as of Sunday night.

Police were expected to continue investigating the scene overnight. Tune in to KAKE News Monday for updates.