Discarded cigarette caused house fire in southeast Wichita

Posted: Updated:

A fire officials says a discarded cigarette caused a house fire at a southeast Wichita home early Thursday morning.

Crews were called at around 6 a.m. to a fire in the 12300 block of Willowgreen Ct., near Pawnee and 127th Street. Capt. Jose Ocadiz said crews saw heavy fire and smoke coming from the garage when they arrived. 

Crews were able to contain the fire to the garage, but there was smoke damage throughout the home. 

Capt. Ocadiz said one of the residents got up for work, heard the smoke alarm and smelled smoke. All six people in the home got out safely.

"Smoke alarms are very important. They do save lives," Capt. Ocadiz said. "In the morning time like this, when everyone is sleeping, it's vitally important."

Ocadiz said Friday morning that a cigarette discarded in a trash can caused the fire. Damage was estimated at $100,000.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.