ON YOUR SIDE GETS ANSWERS: Mold in your apartment or house

Posted: Updated:

All of this rain means some of you are going to tackle a growing problem: mold.

What resources do you have if you're a renter or homeowner, and what should you do first?

The Sedgwick County Health Department says to dry carpets and walls within 48 hours, or you have to get rid of them.

This is a hard and fasts rule for any porous material.

For hard surfaces, like many tiles, counter-tops and some linoleum, soap and water is sufficient to remove the substance.

Be sure to take photos for insurance.

For renters, and we get this call often, the health department says landlords are obligated, by law, to fix the cause of the mold, but not to clean the mold itself.

You can, however, file a complaint, if your place becomes unlivable and your landlord does not take action.

In Sedgwick County, call the Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department at 316-660-1840.

We also advise getting renters insurance. It's usually inexpensive and can save you if your items are destroyed by flood waters.

If you have a question for KAKE News, contact On Your Side by phone, social media or e-mail.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.