Maize South Elementary nurse, para honored for saving choking student

Posted: Updated:
MAIZE, Kan. (KAKE) -

A nurse and para at Maize South Elementary School were recognized during a Board of Education meeting for saving the life of a fourth-grade student who was choking. 

USD 266 said on its website that in January the student, Keegan Dalton, choked on a chicken nugget and could not breathe. School nurse Stephany McClellanand and para Glen Shafer took turns administering the Heimlich maneuver until they successfully dislodged the nugget, allowing Keegan to breathe.

During the April 8 Maize Board of Education meeting, board members recognized the two for saving Keegan's life. 

Principal Meg Thimmesch told board members that several other people helped, including a classmate who went to get water, students who remained calm, and an employee who called 911.

Keegan’s mother, Kristina, is a Maize substitute teacher and was present at the board meeting to celebrate the happy ending.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE