Fire forces temporary closure of Hoover Road

Posted: Updated:

Firefighters say a discarded cigarette sparked a blaze that consumed an outbuilding near the airport this afternoon.

The Wichita Fire Department was forced to close part of Hoover Road between K-42 and and Harry for awhile, so they could string water hoses across the street.

The building, a work shed of some sort, was a complete loss. But fortunately, everyone was able to get out safely.

Investigators still don't know how much damage the fire did. It will depend on what equipment the owners had inside the building.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to