Kansas man living in van dies after space heater causes fire

Posted: Updated:
TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) -

Topeka fire officials say a man who was burned last week after using a space heater to stay warm in a van has died.

Fire Marshal Mike Martin reports 53-year-old Russell Dean Harris Sr. was living in the van when it caught fire last Wednesday.

Martin says Harris was able to escape the van but he suffered second- and third-degree burns.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports Martin said an investigation found the fire was accidental and caused by a space heater.

The National Weather Service reports temperatures on Wednesday morning were around zero.