Man arrested in deadly shooting behind Wichita club

Posted: Updated:
Anthony Slaughter (left) and Jose Fortiz Anthony Slaughter (left) and Jose Fortiz

Wichita police say they have arrested a suspect in connection to a deadly shooting behind a Wichita club over the weekend. 

Lt. Jeff Gilmore said 22-year-old Anthony Slaughter was shot Saturday night behind Rumba Latina at Hydraulic and Mt. Vernon. He died at a local hospital about a hour later. 

Officer Charley Davidson said that 26-year-old Jose Fortiz was arrested and booked for first-degree murder and a warrant. Jail records show he was booked at 4:47 p.m. Monday. 

"The investigation revealed, a disturbance occurred between Fortiz and Slaughter behind the Rumba Latina Club, 1953 S, Hydraulic," Davidson said in a news release. "During the disturbance Fortiz fired multiple shots from a handgun, striking Slaughter."

Kansas Department of Correction records show Fortiz is on parole for robbery and attempted aggravated robbery convictions in 2012.

Previous story:

Police are searching for suspects after a 22-year-old man was shot and killed behind a nightclub over the weekend. 

Officers responded at around 11:30 p.m. Saturday to multiple reports of shots being fired in the area of Hydraulic and Mt. Vernon. One of the 911 callers was the victim.

Lt. Jeff Gilmore said the victim handed his phone to a passerby who told a dispatcher they saw him running and collapse in the street. 

Officers arrived to find Anthony J. Slaughter lying in the street. He was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead about an hour after the shooting. 

Lt. Gilmore said the investigation revealed that there was a disturbance behind the Rumba Latina club at 1923 South Hydraulic. During the disturbance, Slaughter was shot once in the chest and collapsed about a block west of the club.

No arrests have been made.

Anyone with information is asked to call WPD detectives at (316) 268-4407 or Crime Stoppers at (316) 267-2111.

Slaughter's death is the third fatal shooting investigated by Wichita police this year, Officer Charley Davidson said. 

In once case, two officers shot and killed a 29-year-old man who nearly hit one of them with his car. In the other, police say a 9-year-old boy was fatally shot after he and a friend were able to get into a locked gun safe. 

A separate fatal shooting that happened in south Wichita last week involves a Sedgwick County sheriff's deputy. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to