Wichita police identify man fatally shot by officers

Posted: Updated:
Kansas Department of Corrections (10/28/2016) Kansas Department of Corrections (10/28/2016)

Wichita police say a 29-year-old man who was shot by officers after he nearly hit one of them with his car last week has died.

Officer Charley Davidson said in a news release that Geoffery Morris succumbed to his injuries on Saturday. The shooting happened just after 1 p.m. Thursday in the 900 block of North Main Street in downtown.

Deputy Wichita Police Chief Troy Livingston said Friday that two WPD officers and a Kansas Department of Corrections employee were attempting to arrest the suspect in front of the county corrections building. 

"The officers made multiple previous attempts to have the suspect turn himself in peacefully," the Wichita Police Department said in a news release. "The officers were conducting follow-up on the suspect and believed he may arrive at approximately 1 p.m. at the Sedgwick County Corrections Office with his 26-year-old girlfriend."

Morris arrived in a red Ford Focus and parked in a stall. Police said his girlfriend got out of the car and entered the corrections office before the KDOC employee parked behind the car.

The two WPD officers approached the front of the car in an unmarked vehicle. They drew their handguns and ordered Morris to get out of the car. 

Livingston said the suspect put the car in reverse and rammed the KDOC vehicle and then drove forward, nearly striking one of the WPD officers. The two WPD officers fired on Morris, striking him multiple times. 

"The suspect drove the vehicle over a parking block, into a metal pole in the parking lot, into a concrete pillar, crossed Main Street and struck a concrete fence..."

A Wichita officer received minor injuries to his arm while removing Morris from the car after the crash. Police said he had a handgun and the car’s license plate had been reported stolen in Sedgwick County. 

Morris was wanted on two warrants were out of Sedgwick County. One was for three counts of aggravated robbery and aggravated battery. The second was for aggravated assault.

"In one case, Morris pointed a handgun and threatened loss prevention employees to avoid apprehension," Officer Charley Davidson said. "In another case, Morris entered a home armed with a handgun along with other armed suspects.  Morris and the other suspects battered three males in the home and a shot was fired. Property was stolen and they and fled."

He also had had traffic warrants out of Newton and Wichita. 

The officers involved are 13-year and 5-year veterans of the force. Livingston said they are part of the Violent Crimes Task Force that focuses on arresting violent offenders. They have been place on administrative leave. 

The Kansas Bureau of Investigation is assisting with the case. 

Kansas Department of Corrections records show Morris has prior drug, aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and theft convictions. He was last released from prison on January 17, 2018. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.