Family loses home to space heater fire before Christmas

Posted: Updated:
(KAKE) -

It’s a Christmas when they lost everything. Though it happened in December 2010, Stacey Monroe remembers it vividly.

“Something just woke me up. It was like too hot in the house,” Stacey said. “And I stood up, walked around the corner, and there was flames shooting out from the outlet in the hallway. I couldn't even see anything from the bedroom.”

Stacey and her two kids, ages 6 months and 4 years old, had fallen asleep in their Concordia home. When she woke, Stacey yelled for her little boy to run out of the house, as she grabbed the infant girl in a baby swing. Everyone made it out OK.

Later, Stacey and her husband Michael learned the fire was caused by a space heater. They were renting a house and say the heat wasn’t good. The young couple used three heaters to help keep things warm for their family of six. The heater that caused the fire was plugged in a surge protector – something experts now advise against. The heaters overwhelmed the electrical system, which Michael said was not up to code; they didn’t know it then, but now are mindful of what they should look out for in their future homes.

Michael snapped photos of the damage. He said only a handful of things could be salvaged. In one, you see a charred wall with outlines from where photos once hung.

“That's how hot that house fire was. It literally melted pictures off the wall,” he said. “You can see on these four, where they were.”

As he looked at the dozens of pictures he captured, Michael said he’s grateful for everything since. People brought Christmas gifts and toys to help the kids feel more comfortable. The American Red Cross helped them find a place to stay, and so did Stacey’s employer: a local hotel.

They wish they knew who all gave to them then, as it turned out to be one of the most memorable Christmases for the family. Michael was stunned, though, when he realized one item that survived the fire.

“Speakers were melted, stereo was melted, and the only thing that didn't get touched was these two crosses here,” he said pointing them out in a photo. “I had to take a picture of that. The picture behind it was totally gone.”
 

SPACE HEATER SAFETY
On its website, the U.S. Department of Energy states that more than 25,000 residential fires every year are associated with the use of space heaters, resulting in more than 300 deaths. 

When buying a space heater, be sure to:

  • Only purchase newer models and be sure they follow safety guidelines
  • Select a proper size for the room you have
  • Keep the heater at a distance – at least three feet away from anything in the room
  • Always plug it directly into the wall
  • Unplug when not in use
  • Turn off when you’re not in the room

For additional tips, click here.

  • NEWSNewsMore>>

  • Deer collisions on the rise, auto body shops see increase in damaged cars

    Deer collisions on the rise, auto body shops see increase in damaged cars

    It's been a busy week at Flinthills Collision Center in El Dorado.  Fourteen cars, including a Butler County Sheriff's car, were brought in after colliding with a deer.  

    It's been a busy week at Flinthills Collision Center in El Dorado.  Fourteen cars, including a Butler County Sheriff's car, were brought in after colliding with a deer.  

  • Mayoral candidates consider future of downtown Wichita

    Mayoral candidates consider future of downtown Wichita

    Mayoral Candidates, Jeff Longwell and Brandon Whipple, faced off in the KAKE Studios Tuesday night.  The two offered differing views on their vision for Wichita, but they both agree that the future of the river is crucial for the entire city. 

    Mayoral Candidates, Jeff Longwell and Brandon Whipple, faced off in the KAKE Studios Tuesday night.  The two offered differing views on their vision for Wichita, but they both agree that the future of the river is crucial for the entire city. 

  • Highway speed tolling opening at southern terminal

    Highway speed tolling opening at southern terminal

    The Kansas turnpike's southern terminal has been undergoing some big changes, to make your ride faster and smoother. It's your pass to the open road. the Kansas turnpike is introducing highway speed tolling at the southern terminal, all part of a 55 million dollar project to improve tolls.  "We have two new lanes which will now be able to keep you at high speeds and never slow down if you have a K-TAG," says Steve Hewitt. Not only is it a faster way of traveling, it'...

    The Kansas turnpike's southern terminal has been undergoing some big changes, to make your ride faster and smoother. It's your pass to the open road. the Kansas turnpike is introducing highway speed tolling at the southern terminal, all part of a 55 million dollar project to improve tolls.  "We have two new lanes which will now be able to keep you at high speeds and never slow down if you have a K-TAG," says Steve Hewitt. Not only is it a faster way of traveling, it'...

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE