3-year-old Kansas girl dies of suspect abuse

Posted: Updated:

Police say a 3-year-old southwest Kansas girl has died and they're seeking to charge the child's mother with murder.

Capt. Robert Rogers with the Liberal Police Department said the girl died Wednesday evening at a Wichita hospital, where she had been receiving treatment since October 29. 

The girl's 20-year-old mother had been arrested for child abuse and attempted first-degree murder. Police are seeking to amend the the attempted murder charge to first-degree murder. 

Kansas man arrested in death of 2-year-old son

No names have been released.

Officers were called October 28 to a report of child abuse at Southwest Medical Center. She was flown to Wesley Medical Center after he condition deteriorated. 

Previous story:

Police in southwest Kansas have arrested a 20-year-old mother for attempted murder after her 3-year-old daughter was hospitalized with possible abuse-related injuries. 

Officers with the Liberal Police Department were called Sunday to a report of child abuse at Southwest Medical Center. Capt. Robert Rogers said family members had brought the girl to the emergency room. 

"Her condition deteriorated while at the hospital and life saving measures were conducted," Capt. Rogers said in a news release. "She was later air lifted to a Wichita hospital where she continues to be treated.'

Capt. Rogers said Thursday that the child is in very critical condition. Her condition was unchanged Friday afternoon.

Investigators believe the child's injuries appear to be intentional and said other signs of abuse were discovered. 

The girl's mother was arrested and booked into the Seward County Jail for child abuse and attempted first-degree murder. Her name was not released. 

"These cases are very sensitive and our continued prayers for this child continue to be given by our officers and support staff," Police Chief Dennis Mulanax said. "Our detectives are working closely with Wesley Medical staff and the county attorney's office on this incident to ensure that the best of services are being provided. One of our detectives even traveled to Wesley for continued investigation."

The investigation is ongoing. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.