Warrant: Mother of girls found dead told police she fell asleep with car running

Posted: Updated:
Jenna Bodecker-Ribando | Clay Co. Sheriff/KCTV Jenna Bodecker-Ribando | Clay Co. Sheriff/KCTV
Ireland Autumn Jane Ribando, 2 Ireland Autumn Jane Ribando, 2
Goodknight Berretta June Ribando Goodknight Berretta June Ribando

Documents just released in the case of two Kansas City-area sisters found dead on the Fourth of July show the mother told police she fell asleep with the car running and the girls inside.

Clay County deputies were called to a home on Cameron Road in Kearney just after noon on the Fourth of July. When they arrived, they found two girls not breathing.

Both girls, Goodknight Beretta June Ribando, an infant, and 2-year-old Ireland Autumn Jane Ribando, were dead when first responders arrived.

The mother of both girls, Jenna Boedecker, 29, was later arrested and charged with domestic assault third degree, armed criminal action, and property damage relating to an incident that happened the night before.

Charging documents in the case say Boedecker got into an argument with her husband, then threw a brick at him as he attempted to leave their home.

The victim then said Boedecker drove her 2013 Jeep Patriot at the Ford F-150 her husband used. Both vehicles were damaged.

Search warrants filed in the deaths of the girls said Boedecker told authorities that she had gotten into an argument with her husband the night before. She said she didn't have a key to the residence and was locked out of the home.

She said at some point during the night she took both girls to her Jeep and fell asleep in the car with both children.

When she woke up, she said the children were unresponsive.

In a different version, Boedecker told detectives she put the girls in the Jeep to keep them from hearing her argue with her husband and "just dozed off for a second."

Documents show Boedecker told authorities she tried to revive the children with water. At some point during the night, her vehicle had run out of gas. She said then tried to break the lock off of a storage shed to get gas for her car.

She eventually grabbed the girls and ran to a neighbor's home. The neighbor called 911 and attempted to help cool the girls with wet rags and fans, but it was too late.

The search warrant also reveals someone called the Missouri Department of Social Services hotline at 11 p.m. the night before the girls died. The complaint was not deemed as serious enough to be handled immediately so it "was put off until the morning".

An investigator came by the home at 9:30 a.m., three hours before the Boedecker says she found the girls. The investigator told detectives he parked behind the Jeep and heard it running but didn't look inside. He said he walked to the front door, which was open, and knocked, but no one answered so he left after several minutes.

No charges have been filed in the girls' deaths.

Boedecker remains behind bars on her domestic assault charges - on Monday a judge denied her request to lower her bond so she could attend her daughters' funerals.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.