Wichita woman says therapy dog saved her from house fire

Posted: Updated:
WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

A Wichita woman says her therapy dog saved her life as her home went up in flames early Friday morning.

Crews were called around 12:10 a.m. to the 1200 block of Bracken Court, near 13th and 127th streets. When they arrived, they found significant fire showing from the roof.

Battalion Chief Warren Koehn said additional units were called in to help battle the blaze and remained on scene throughout the morning to battle hot spots. At one point, firefighters had to move away from the home when the roof collapsed.

Mary Enstrom says her faith and family are keeping her strong during this unfortunate situation. She says her dog Theodore saved her.

"He was barking and he wanted me to follow. I didn't at first," she said. "I picked him up and put him back on the blanket beside me. So I followed him to the kitchen and looked out the window and it was red and orange."

Hero grandmother saves grandkids from fire

Investigators say the home is likely a total loss. The fire was caused by fireworks and ruled accidental.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE