Lucas Hernandez service open to public June 30

Posted: Updated:
WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

A memorial service for a 5-year-old Wichita boy whose body was found three months after he was reported missing will be open to the public.

A celebration of life for Lucas Hernandez will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, June 30, at the  WSU Eugene M. Hughes Metropolitan Complex, which is located at 5015 East 29th Street North.

"We want to offer all those who have come to love our child the opportunity to grieve and say goodbye," the memorial announcement says.

Click here for more information.


Previous story:

The family of Lucas Hernandez said it is planning the boy's memorial service and wants to celebrate his life but needs time to do so in private.

Jamie Taylor-Orr and Jonathan Hernandez said in a statement that they were "still reeling and learning how to live this new life without Lucas."

Community remembers Lucas Hernandez

Lucas Hernandez's parents attend balloon release

The boy's body was found in southeast Harvey County last month after his father's girlfriend -- Emily Glass -- led a private investigator to the site.

Glass died last week from a gunshot wound in what police called a "reported suicide."

Both deaths are under investigation and no charges have been filed in the case. The family's statement is as follows:

Many people in the community are reaching out to us, looking for a way to honor our beloved son.  We are deeply touched by all those who are mourning and looking for a way to show how much Lucas has come to mean to them, but at this time we are asking for the public to put fundraising efforts on hold.   We NEED this time to plan our child’s goodbye.  We want to focus on laying him to rest in a manner that celebrates his short time on this earth.  Afterward, there will be plenty of time to work with the community and memorialize our beautiful child.  

Shortly after Lucas was found, our family asked a friend to be our spokesperson and representative to the press and public.  We were in a deep state of shock, and honestly did not know how to interact with anyone.  While our world will never, ever be the same, we have come to realize that being a voice for our child is part of the healing process.  We truly appreciate all the efforts that have been made to shield us in our grief.  It gave us a few precious days to come to terms with the enormity of our loss.   Jonathan and I are still reeling and learning how to live this new life without Lucas.   We were never prepared to face this loss and we will probably make many mistakes as we go down what is sure to be a long, dark road.  We just ask that you all be patient with us, give us time to grieve and help us ensure Lucas’ legacy is one filled with hope and kindness, not darkness and evil.

We have been out to Lucas’ site and removed some of the items.  These include deflated balloons and most of the stuffed animals that were placed out near the bridge by the public.   We would like everyone to know that we plan on leaving the rest of the items out at the site until June 24.  On that day, we will collect nearly everything in order to display it at Lucas’ Memorial Service, which will be open to the public.  We want to preserve and protect all the beautiful things so many left to honor our child.  We will be making an announcement regarding Lucas’ services as soon as we finalize a few more details.

Thank you for your support,

Jamie Taylor-Orr and Jonathan Hernandez

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE