Arrest made in deadly Wichita stabbing

Posted: Updated:

Wichita police have arrested a 53-year-old man for a deadly stabbing in southeast Wichita.

The stabbing happened around 10:30 p.m. Friday near Erie and Harry. Investigators say 53-year-old Otis Johnson Jr. was riding in the truck with the victim when they got into an argument. Johnson and the victim got out of the vehicle and that's when the victim was stabbed multiple times.

Police say Johnson then took off in the truck. He was later tracked down near 27th and Magnolia. Johnson was booked for first-degree murder, theft and other charges.

Officer Charley Davidson identified the victim as 68-year-old Leroy Hudson. 

Kansas Department of Corrections records show Johnson has prior convictions of robbery, aggravated robbery, burglary, theft and forgery. 

Previous Story:

An argument between two men on Erie and Harry turned deadly.

"I seen him lying on the ground,” said one neighbor. “It’s scary.”

Police say a man stabbed a 68-year-old multiple times and left him to die.

"We thought it was getting cleaned up; obviously, it's not,” said Shelia Riggs.

Investigators say the suspect took off in the victim's truck. Hours later, a neighbor spotted it more than six miles away from the crime scene in southwest Wichita and called 911. 

Although he's been arrested, neighbors are still living in fear.

"I'm really kinda waiting to move because I don't really feel to safe around here,” said Horace Adams.

Riggs added, “We don't feel safe in our own beds at night, you know. My neighbors there are diving on the floor; that's no way to live, and I never thought I'd live like that ever."

Seeing more and more crime in the area, they're asking for help finding comfort in their own home.

"There's a lot of gangs,” said Riggs. “I think they need security and some kind of surveillance, more policing.”

They say that safety is especially important during the day when kids are out playing.

"My grand-babies are right there, and it just seems like things are getting worse and you never know what's gonna happen anymore,” a neighbor explained.

Until then, they all say they'll continue to keep their eyes open and look out for each other.

"Change is gonna have to come about,” said Helen Drake.  

Police say the men knew each other but haven't said what started the argument.

Friday's stabbing death was Wichita's 21st homicide of the year. The city's 22nd homicide happened less than two days later at a bar in southeast Wichita.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to