Firefighters: Propane leak caused 'flash fire' inside trailer

Posted: Updated:
WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

Firefighters have determined the cause of a fire that left two people with second to third degree burns.

According to the Firefighters, a couple inside the trailer was testing a propane furnace when a possible leak led to a flash fire, burning the two victims.

The names of the victims were not released and are still being treated for their burns at St. Francis hospital.

Neighbors reported hearing a large boom from a trailer in front of a home in West Wichita.

This all happened just before 8 p.m. Monday night near the 10000 block of West Ponderosa.

One neighbor told KAKE news that when she came outside, she saw smoke pouring from the camper and believes it was a propane tank explosion.

Neighbors say a couple in their 60s or 70s live in the home where the explosion occurred.

The couple appeared to be getting their travel camper ready for a trip when something went wrong.

Both the victims were taken to Via Christi Hospital in critical condition. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to news@kake.com.

MORE SLIDESHOWS HERE