Dick's Sporting Goods pulls "assault-style" rifles from shelves

Posted: Updated:

The nation’s largest sporting goods retailer will no longer sell assault-style weapons in its stores.  Additionally, the company will ban sales of guns to people younger than age 21.

"Based on what’s happened and looking at those kids and those parents, it moved us all unimaginably," company Chairman and CEO Edward Stack said today on "Good Morning America," referring to the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that killed 14 students and three educators.

The announcement was on that approved popular to customers at the franchise’s east Wichita location.

“We are 100-percent shopping at Dick's,” said Sherry Gartin. “We just came and bought $100 worth of stuff we didn't need just to support what the CEO is standing for.”

Stack said the decision came after extensive discussions with local managers and the urge to try and change the pattern of mass shootings.

“Those kids talk about enough is enough,” he said. “We had meaningful conversations about with our team. “We concluded that, if these kids are brave enough to organize and do what they're doing. Then we should be brave enough to take this stand.”

While the move has support, it also has detractors. Many on social media posted outrage over the decision and promises to not return to the store.

The retailer discovered last week that one of their Florida stores had sold a gun to Nikolas Cruz, the suspected Parkland Shooter last year. It was a legal transaction and not the on used inside the school.

The company would not say how many of those rifles, now banned in their stores, were typically sold each year.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have a photo to share with us? Email it to news@kake.com.