Neighbors fear explosion sparked fire at Wichita home

Posted: Updated:

Investigators say one person and several dogs got out of a house safely after it caught fire Thursday night. It happened in the 4500 block of Kimberly in north Wichita.

Crews got the call to respond after several neighbors saw the flames and heard what sounded like explosions just before 6 p.m.

“I came up stairs and heard an explosion,” said Micah Standley, a witness and neighbor. “I looked out the window and I saw fire so I came out the front door.”

The fire was so strong, a parked car’s panic alarm went off.

“I just saw the fire coming out of the back of the house,” he said.

Investigators say that inside it was even worse.

“There was a lot of fire inside,” said Battalion Chief Brad Boyd. “For awhile there was a downed power line in the back yard, so we had to keep crews out of the back yard.”

More than eight fire crews responded. At one point, they received calls that there were explosions inside. Chief Boyd couldn’t confirm that immediately afterward, but did tell KAKE News there were propane tanks inside.

The fire is still under investigation.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have pictures to share with us? Email them to