Wichita YMCA making changes after alleged child rape, CEO says

Posted: Updated:

For the first time since a child was allegedly raped at the Downtown YMCA 10 days ago, the organization's president and CEO spoke in a face-to-face interview.

Ronn McMahon says the YMCA is heartbroken and changes are being made. He wouldn't answer a lot of questions, referring most of them to Wichita police.

"We recognize that a trust is broken," McMahon said. "We're going to do anything we can to identify any threat."

He said he's reviewing policy and making changes after 21-year-old Caleb Gaston -- a Kid Zone employee of five years --- was arrested and charged with raping a 4-year-old girl.

The Kid Zone areas are designed to be highly visible and with safety in mind. 

"There's windows. There's clear visibility everywhere," McMahon said. "We use partial walls and half doors so that there's never an enclosed area where the kid could be alone."

Bur despite the safeguards, police believe Gaston somehow was able to sexually assault the girl. 

Wichita YMCA to implement daily sex offender registry checks

Man accused in child rape at YMCA fired from preschool for 'inappropriate touching'

When asked how the alleged rape could have happened, McMahon said, "That's a great question for police right now. That's why we're fully cooperating with police to determine that."

There's another layer of security:  surveillance cameras. The  CEO couldn't say whether the incident was recorded.

"Is there ever a time when an employee could be alone with a child?" KAKE's Morgan Downing asked McMahon. 

"That's, you know, right now, that's a question, you know, as the investigation comes out I think we'll learn those things."

He said the YMCA has reached out to parents whose children may have come into contact with Gaston during his employment. McMahon encourages them to talk to their children and contact police if they fear the worst. 

Despite the alleged rape, parents are still dropping their kids off, and the Kid Zones are as busy as ever, McMahon said. 

Gaston was released from jail on $100,000 bond on Tuesday. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for February 15. 

KAKE News has learned Gaston's mother is the director of wellness at the downtown branch. 

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have a photo to share with us? Email it to news@kake.com.


  • Most Popular Stories

    • Man killed in southeast Wichita shooting

      Police have arrested a suspect after a man was shot and killed in southeast Wichita early Saturday morning.

    • Search continues for missing Wichita boy; stepmother arrested

      The stepmother of a missing 5-year-old Wichita boy has been booked into the Sedgwick County Jail. 

    • Authorities continue to search for missing Wichita boy

      Police blocked the entrances to Chisholm Creek Park near K-96 and Oliver on Friday and the nearby Great Plains Nature Center was also closed as they continue to search for Lucas Hernandez.

    • Man shot at Wichita Auto Auction on South Broadway

      Police say a man suffered serious injuries in a shooting Friday evening outside the Wichita Auto Auction in south Wichita. 

    • Kansas chase reaches 120 mph before driver crashes on I-70

      Authorities say a 32-year-old man crashed during a chase on Interstate 70 that reached speeds of 120 mph.

    • Net neutrality rules will officially end in April

      The end of net neutrality is officially set to come this spring. The Federal Communications Commission's repeal of net neutrality is scheduled to take effect on April 23, according to a copy of the order was published with the Federal Register on Thursday. 

    • Salina Police search for shooting suspect

      Salina Police are searching a suspect in connection to a shooting. Officers responded to a report of a gunshot victim in the 100 block of N. Front Street in Salina.

    • Metallica in Wichita? We'll find out Monday

      Could iconic metal band Metallica be planning a to take the state in Wichita? Tweets from the band and INTRUST Bank Arena are hinting on Twitter that a concert announcement is coming on Monday.

    • Missing Wichita boy's father believes son is still alive

      Wichita Police have arrested 26-year-old Emily Glass. Glass is the last person to see her five-year-old stepson, Lucas Hernandez, before he went missing.

    • 2 killed in western Kansas plane crash

      Two men have died following a plane crash in western Kansas late Thursday night..