Harvey County recovering from cyberattack

Posted: Updated:

Harvey County says its computer network was the victim of a cyberattack this week. It says county facilities are scheduled to remain open this week, but operations will be limited.

A limited portion of the network was disabled in the cyberattack. Harvey County is working with its insurance providers and cybersecurity experts to recover the information. The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been notified.

Presently, Harvey County does not believe any personal information of its citizens or employees was compromised.

“Our No. 1 priority is keeping everyone’s personal information safe. We will strive to ensure that,” said Harvey County Administrator Anthony Swartzendruber. “We have worked and worked and worked to accomplish that, and will continue to do so.”

The cybercrime was discovered on Sunday, prompting the Courthouse to close on Monday. Though the incident was believed to be alleviated on Monday, additional concerns from the same cyberattack were identified on Tuesday.

The County utilized the full extent of its own resources and those established through local partnerships to correct the cyberattack, but additional resources will be required to completely eradicate the threat.

“We tapped into all of our local knowledge to combat this,” said LeeAnn Heim, Harvey County information technology director. “That said, this incident shows we still have a need for improvement, and we are addressing that.”

The County has backup systems in place, and also purchased additional network security within the past year. Those measures were beneficial to limiting the reach of the cyberattack.

“We apologize that this incident occurred. This is surely frustrating for our residents, and it is extremely frustrating for our staff, too,” Swartzendruber said. “Please be patient with us. We will get this fixed and restore our full services as soon as we are certain our network is secure.”

Essential emergency response services such as 911 and the sheriff’s office continue to remain operational. Other functions, such as the driver’s license office or vehicle tags, will not be available until the restoration of the network. If you have questions about the services of a particular department, please call us at 316-284-6800.

Check out these photos from across KAKEland snapped by our viewers, staff and local officials. Do you have a photo to share with us? Email it to news@kake.com.


  • Most Popular Stories

    • Closings & Delays

      The latest list of school and weather-related closings and delays.

    • 2 men found shot to death in Derby home, police say

      Derby police are investigating after two men were found dead of apparent gunshot wounds Monday evening.  

    • Family concerned about Wichita boy's welfare before he went missing

      As the search continues for 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez, the boy's family returned to their home late Monday along with the FBI. Relatives watching from afar say it's not the first time an investigator was called there. 

    • Bodies of 2 infants found in suitcase along Arkansas road

      Authorities say the bodies of two newborn babies who appear to be twins have been found in a suitcase along a road in northeast Arkansas.

    • Search for missing 5-year-old Wichita boy continues

      Lucas Hernandez was last seen around 3 p.m. on Saturday near his home in the 600 block of South Edgemoor. 

    • Kansas soldier dies in Iraq

      The Department of Defense said Sgt. Christina Marie Schoenecker was supporting Operation Inherent Resolve in Baghdad.

    • Missing child's parents attend vigil

      Lucas Hernandez's parents held candles and prayed for their son's safe return.

    • Louisville beat WSU in the Final Four

    • Kansas woman in custody after 3 children found ill

      Police say an Olathe woman is being held in jail after her three children became ill after apparently taking something "meant to harm them." 

    • Family pleading for missing Wichita boy's safe return

      A family is pleading for answers and the safe return for 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez. "It's cold out. We don't know where he is. We want him home safely,” Hernandez’s cousin, Kristin Edson said.