Jim Carrey no longer facing wrongful death lawsuit in girlfriend's overdose

Posted: Updated:
MGN Online MGN Online
(ABC) -

Jim Carrey is no longer facing a civil lawsuit in the overdose death of his former girlfriend.

"The case and all claims against Jim Carrey have been dismissed," a rep for the actor told ABC News. "He is extremely grateful to everyone in his life who supported him throughout this challenging episode."

Carrey had been facing a wrongful death lawsuit from family members of his on-again, off-again girlfriend Cathriona White, who died of a drug overdose in September 2015. Her death was ruled a suicide.

White's estranged husband and mother sued Carrey months later, claiming he had caused her death. Carrey counter-sued, claiming the lawsuit was an attempt to extort him.

"I will not tolerate this heartless attempt to exploit me or the woman I loved," he said in a statement after the lawsuit was filed.

PHOTO: Cathriona White and Jim Carrey walk in New York City on MAY 21, 2015.

Carrey and White were first linked in 2012 and dated on and off for years. The actor, 54, released a statement to ABC News after she was found dead in her home in Sherman Oaks, California.

"I am shocked and deeply saddened by the passing of my sweet Cathriona," he said. "She was a truly kind and delicate Irish flower, too sensitive for this soil, to whom loving and being loved was all that sparkled. My heart goes out to her family and friends and to everyone who loved and cared about her."

  • Most Popular Stories

    • Closings & Delays

      The latest list of school and weather-related closings and delays.

    • Kansas soldier dies in Iraq

      The Department of Defense said Sgt. Christina Marie Schoenecker was supporting Operation Inherent Resolve in Baghdad.

    • Search for missing 5-year-old Wichita boy continues

      Lucas Hernandez was last seen around 3 p.m. on Saturday near his home in the 600 block of South Edgemoor. 

    • 2 men found shot to death in Derby home, police say

      Derby police are investigating after two men were found dead of apparent gunshot wounds Monday evening.  

    • Bodies of 2 infants found in suitcase along Arkansas road

      Authorities say the bodies of two newborn babies who appear to be twins have been found in a suitcase along a road in northeast Arkansas.

    • Family concerned about Wichita boy's welfare before he went missing

      As the search continues for 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez, the boy's family returned to their home late Monday along with the FBI. Relatives watching from afar say it's not the first time an investigator was called there. 

    • Airbnb popular choice among NCAA tournament fans

      People in Wichita are seeing success with Airbnb. But apartment managers are reminding renters they can't take part in the success. 

    • Police: Wichita man shot during argument over food

      Police say a man was hospitalized in serious condition following a shooting Monday afternoon in south Wichita.

    • Kansas woman in custody after 3 children found ill

      Police say an Olathe woman is being held in jail after her three children became ill after apparently taking something "meant to harm them." 

    • Family pleading for missing Wichita boy's safe return

      A family is pleading for answers and the safe return for 5-year-old Lucas Hernandez. "It's cold out. We don't know where he is. We want him home safely,” Hernandez’s cousin, Kristin Edson said.